
Today I find myself somewhat stressed. We have two family trips coming up, Julien has one business trip, unfinished house projects, and Julien wants a motorcycle. While I'm excited about most of these things, (guess which ones) I find myself a tad uneasy.
Last night, Julien and I went looking at bikes. I was surprised to find my shopping experience to be disappointingly unsatisfying. Even with looking at used bikes it was hard to find one in our price range. It felt reminiscent of being a child at a toy store, knowing you don't have enough allowance money to buy anything. I understand that there is certain pride and premium that comes with that Harley price tag. No one makes fun of a guy riding a Harley, unless he's riding an 883 Sportster. (That joke was for all the motorcycle enthusiasts out there. Showing my street cred.) Harley's keep resale value like nothing else I've seen. It is an investment. That being said, I can't believe they want more for a 4 year old bike than what I paid for my Civic brand new. And it's something that only one member of the family can use for approximately half the year. In fact the best part of the whole deal last night was being able to leave Aidan with the neighbors while we shopped. We have great neighbors with a two year old boy who Aidan loves to play with. They were nice enough to offer to watch him and feed him dinner. We felt a little guilty jumping at the offer, but I know we'll return the favor eventually. Anyway, once the two boys started playing with tractors the decision was made for us. Aidan wasn't going anywhere!
Why does it always seem that Julien picks up the most expensive hobbies?? So should I put my foot down or allow him another pricey hobby that causes me stress. Maybe I'm wrong. You guys tell me. Weigh in with your comments. I actually would appreciate different perspectives. In return, I will let you all know how it goes. I have a feeling the end of this story involves a lot of sighing and head shaking on my part.
1 comment:
Hmm...that's a tough one. If it was Jeff, I'd ask him to save a little bit more. Like you said, a Harley is an investment and if it doesn't work out, the resale value is good. I say go for it, but maybe in a few more months. Good luck! :)
Post a Comment