Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Yet Another Pregnancy Update! A Date Has Been Set!

Monday I went back to the OB and told her my decision to go forward with the c section. She seemed visibly relieved. Which made me feel that I had made the right choice, if not for medical reasons then, maybe she wasn't the right doctor to have if I tried to do things naturally again. (Not everyone is my hero Dr. Esposito.) So, that day, after several phone calls and a little confusion, my section was finally scheduled for my 39th week. (I feel a little weird about posting the date here for anyone to see, so I will email it out to everyone.) I have to be at the hospital at 5:30a and the surgery is set to start at 7:30a. Boy, is that early! Julien is not looking forward to that. Although, if that's the hardest part of his day then I have little sympathy for him. :) I'm hoping that I feel good enough that day for Aidan to come see me and Olivia once we are out of recovery. I really hope that Julien stays that night too. He said he might the first night but will probably go home the other nights. He had a bad experience when Aidan was born. The room was really cold, the fold out chair was uncomfortable, and they didn't have enough blankets for him. By the end of the stay he had a head cold and was miserable. I told him this time around that I was ok with him going home as long as he was there during the day and maybe stayed the first night. That's when I will really need him. I'm not sure what to expect as far as pain goes. I know how hard it was to get in and out of bed after Aidan. It was like torture! Julien was very good about getting up and getting Aidan for me. I know I will be very sore but in a different way than last time. Only time will tell to what extent it will slow me down. I'm a little nervous about being in the hospital so long too. I hate to be away from Aidan that long. I'm sure once I'm there and have nurses and lacation consultants to help me, I'll want to stay there. :) For now, I'm in that mad rush to get my to do list done before I go to the hospital. I'm trying to fill the little chest freezer that we got this weekend. I've already made a ton of pancakes. I'm open to donations too. ;) Also any suggestions for dinners that freeze well are welcome too! I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. We'll see how much I get around to before the big day. Julien got some good news at work. He called HR to discuss his options for taking leave for the birth. During that call he explained that he needed to be home to care for me cause of the c section. Well, once they heard that they said he can take 40 hrs paid for free (not counting against his vacation) as sort of a paternity leave. Well, that would've been nice to know! Apparently they don't advertise this as Julien had never heard of it in the 5 years he's been there and not even when he took time off for Aidan. I guess if you tell people about it, they'll want to take it. So, I'll be taking some paperwork in to the OB and he'll be getting a free week off. Which is what employers should do at the very least in my opinion.

So that's the news for now! Everything looks good with the baby. We just try to get ready for the big day!

2 comments:

Safire said...

I think it was someone in Maryland that tipped J off to this time off tidbit when we had V.

Looks like you guys are all set up! Things that freeze well: lazagne, soups, cooked meat (not previously frozen), cooked beans, prepared taco meat, precooked hamburgers. Mostly anything you cook to freeze, stop the cooking a few minutes before and then you won't over cook it when you reheat it. Make sure to get some rest before the baby too!

Freya said...

Oh how exciting Kelly...The big day is getting closer!

Safire pretty much gave all the good ideas for things that freeze well.
Julien is a good cook though so I'm sure you will get along wonderful.

I really dont have a lot of advice about C-sections. I do know that you won't be able to lift anything heavier then the baby for awhile and I think you can't do a lot of stairs right at first.

Though I think with in a week you will be moving loads better and will be on the mend.
I would love if you sent me a pic to my phone so I can post it and brag to all my friends about what a gorgeous niece I have. :)

If you need anything at all or if you have any questions about breastfeeding please feel free to ask me.