Thursday, January 8, 2009

Toddler Art Class

Today was another playgroup day. This time we were off to the Magic House in Kirkwood for Toddler Art class. I have to say, if you have kids and are in the St. Louis area, this is a must! It is the greatest Children's Museum! They just opened an expansion so now they have 50,000 sq feet of space. It's incredible! We have a membership so the classes are discounted, which is nice. Today was Toddler Art and our first time at any of their classes. Aidan had a blast! He was so excited to paint. We really must use our easel at home more often. We played with home made play clay, made a stamp picture, did shaving cream fingerpainting, and played with "clean mud" made from soap and toilet paper. Aidan made so many pictures that we couldn't get them all home as they weren't dry yet. At one point while Aidan was painting, we were discussing the colors he was using when he looked at his painting and told me, "it's needs more blue." He's a Picasso in the making! It was so funny. The staff was really nice and helpful too. It makes the class even better when you have staff who obviously love what they do. After the class was over, we followed the other playgroup kids out to the preschool part of the Magic House. That was the only part that was open before noon. But that meant time at the water table, which was all that Aidan cared about. In fact, he just about ran over a staff member to get to it. Talk about enthuisam. While he played with the water, I was able to talk to the moms. I met a new mom to the group who's husband is overseas for a year. We talked about being in military families, as I can relate from our past experience. I can't imagine moving and then being alone for a long time. At least she has fmaily near, but still. I don't envy her position but give her full credit. After being at the Magic House for an hour and a half, I was able to drag Aidan away with the promise of french fries for lunch. When we got home, we ate and then watched some Caillou. At that point he told me that he was ready for nap ( which hasn't happened all week!) and went to sleep with out a peep. That's a relief considering the last couple nights. Aidan is my sleep lover. Always has been. Then things got a little out of sorts with being away for Christmas. We seemed to return to normal when we got home. He'd ask for a light to be left on though, which was unusual. Then that last couple of nights have been difficult. He'd cry he didn't want to go to sleep. Then he'd want the light in his room on. Then he'd cry that he wanted to see Daddy again. Then he'd just cry for a while. He'd lay down at 8:30 and not fall asleep until 10:30 or 11:00. Not like my boy at all. I think he's bored with Mommy telling him she doesn't feel good. He isn't getting enough activity apparently. After today's excitement and a 9:00 bedtime, he hasn't made a peep. He asks for Daddy often during the day. He even asked if Daddy was coming with to Toddler Art. I think he needs time with Daddy doing fun stuff and playing. He knows Daddy likes to do things and play rough and he needs that right now. Mommy being out of commission is stressful for him. I hope for his sake and mine that I get my energy back soon. I'm getting really tired of feeling exhausted and never getting anything done. My house desperately needs some attention. Tomorrow probably won't be any better. I have my first round of bloodtests, including my first one hour glucose test. I'm sure that I'll fanastatic after that. :) Wish me luck!

No comments: