Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Trip to the Allergist (or Aidan's least favorite place on Earth!)

Monday was Aidan's allergist appointment. I made Julien take the morning off to come with us. I didn't think that I could handle both kids and be able to manage Aidan at the same time. I was very glad that I made him come. We hadn't even left the house yet when Aidan started to freak out. He talked about the blue tourniquet strap that they used when they drew blood. He said that he didn't want the "blue thing" again. I tried to explain that he wouldn't get his blood drawn again and that it wasn't going to hurt. (Apparently I am not that convincing. Neither is Julien.) We talked about how they were going to feed him peanut butter and that would be the worst of it. He didn't like that idea either telling me that "it's ackey". (Boy do we have that kid trained well!) So, we had to tell him that it was ok just this once and maybe the doctor would let him have it from then on. We were hopeful anyway. Well we all got in the car and headed to the allergist. I made sure to pack heavy as I had no idea how long it would take or how bad Aidan would be. So, I took enough bottles and formula for the entire morning and toys for Aidan to play with. Julien had picked out a toy for Aidan to get after the appointment as sort of a reward. It was an Imaginex dragon with a knight. Very cool. So we get there and are taken back to the exam room. Aidan is ok when he sees there are toys in the room. (Something I like about that office.) Then the doc comes in. She tells us that they are on the phone with the lab trying to find the results to his blood work. Remember that blood work that traumatized Aidan that the office told us we had to do before the appointment. Yeah, the lab can't find it. This peeves me to say the least. So the doc said we would just do the skin test. The blood work would give her a number that I assumed has to do with the level of antibody in the blood. She said if the number was high it would tell her not to do the food challenge but if it was low she would do the skin test anyway. She did sympathize with us about losing the results after the whole drama it caused. I told her I'd like to hear the results anyway but I haven't gotten a call. So we did the skin test. At this point Daddy went to get Aidan's present and I helped Aidan with the skin test. I had no idea that he would freak out so hard about this too. He screamed that he wanted his shirt back on, he cried, he screamed, his face turned bright red. He fought Julien the entire 15 minutes. The doc even checked on him cause he was so loud. Well, when it was all said and done, he had a big reaction to the skin test. About as big as the control. The first time we did it about 18 mos ago he didn't react at all. And he hasn't had any peanuts or PB since then. So the doc determined it wouldn't be safe to do the challenge and he would officially have a peanut allergy. She gave us a prescription for another epipen and told us to come back at 5 years old to try it again. Since Aidan reacted this time around, that means Olivia has an increased chance of having the allergy too. Not a huge chance but enough that she isn't to have peanuts before 3 years old. So we left the office and decided to go to MacArthur's for donuts. We all had been through a lot that morning and donuts were definitely needed. Julien and I were both surprised that the skin test reacted so big. Julien even said to me "You were right. He really is allergic." I would've been all right with being wrong on this one. So, until the next allergist appointment (which I'm thankful isn't for 2 years, it'll take Aidan that long to recover from this one.) we continue to be a peanut-free household.

No comments: