Thursday, November 12, 2009

Aidan's First Day of Preschool!


Well, finally the big day was upon us! Wednesday marked Aidan's first day of preschool at the Y. He was up, dressed and ready to go by 7:30a. We didn't need to leave until 8:30a. I had no idea he would be so motivated to go so I had plenty of time. Aidan had a hard time being patient and kept demanding we leave already. At least he was excited. So, we got ready, took our obligatory first day picture and we were off. We had a little talk in the car about how he would be there for a couple hours then Mommy would come get him. We talked about how our friend Gabi would be there today and how he could ask the teachers for help in the bathroom if he needed to. He informed me that he wasn't going to ask for help going potty because he didn't need it. I told him I thought that was great and that I knew he could do it himself. When we walked in he didn't take off his coat or backpack, he went straight to playing with the other kids. I talked to his teachers and got all the paperwork straight while he was busy. We talked about his potty skills and his thumbsucking. (I had put in the comments section of his enrollment form that I didn't want anyone pressuring him to stop because that's his way of coping.) Before I left I tried to tell him where the bathroom was and what his teacher's name was but, he was too busy digging in the sand table. So I made him give me a kiss. As I left he was off playing with something else or I didn't bother to say goodbye. I figured that he was fine and he really didn't need me too. So Olivia and took off to run errands just the two of us. Now, that was a strange feeling. And for some reason, she sleeps through whatever store you go to when a certain someone isn't distracting her. :) I really thought when I dropped Aidan off that I would get upset and cry driving away from him. I was really surprised when I didn't. I was worried about him and was hoping that he was doing ok and that he could use the bathroom all right by himself with a big toilet. But, I didn't feel that sad weepy feeling. I guess him not being upset helped me not to feel upset too. When it was time to get him, I left Olivia home with Julien. (Who was sick for two days this week with strep. I wish the people at his work would stop coming in sick and sharing germs.) When I walked in his room, he looked at me and put his thumb in his mouth. Apparently he hadn't sucked his thumb all morning. I could tell he was exhausted. The teachers said he did really well for his first day. He listened some of the time, which I was expecting to hear. But all in all, a good day. Well, I guess Aidan had so much fun that he didn't want to leave. He threw a complete fit when I tried to make him go. I had to physically drag him out in front of the other parents. How embarrassing! We had a talk tonight during bath that we weren't going to do that again. That we would say goodbye to our teachers and leave quietly. We shall see. After school we went to McDonald's where he told me all about his morning. He told me that he painted with his hands but needed help turning on the water to wash up. He said that some boy took some other girl's book. He told me that he had milk and cookies for snack. But the teacher had to turn off the lights to get their attention cause they weren't listening. Apparently this made an impression because he told me about it a couple times. I'll have to try that one at home. :) Most importantly I think he had a good time. He's excited to go back tomorrow. He has show and tell so I have to find something that starts with J for him to take. One day and he already has homework!

Aidan's soccer class is over now. He got a little metal at the end of class that he liked a lot. He did really well for 15 minutes of class and then told Daddy he was done. He sat out the rest of class. We could not for the life of us convince him to go back. So we let him sit and watch. Maybe when he's older we'll try again. Right now, he just wants to have fun and play. So that's what we'll do.

1 comment:

Freya said...

I'm so glad he had such a wonderful time at preschool. Him throwing a fit showed how much fun he did have.

How wonderful that you got to leave Olivia home and have some quiet time with Aidan to hear about his day. I know he had to have been so excited with tons to tell you.