Thursday morning came and we were up at 4:30a preparing for the big day. Nana got in the night before and Aidan was excited as ever to see her. So, as they slept, we got our bag, kissed Aidan goodbye, and drove off to the hospital. As we walked up to the entrance, I could feel the butterflies going big time. (Being up at the crack of dawn didn't help either.) They got even stronger as I was
escorted back to a labor and delivery room to get ready. Nurses, doctors, and
anesthesiologists all paraded in and out, each with their little
spiels for me. Everyone was really nice and very reassuring. I'm very glad the
anesthesiologist was so upfront about what complications I could encounter and that there were ways to remedy them. More on that in a minute. So after I had my IV started and signed my paperwork, they gave
Julien his scrubs to change into. (He looked so cute. Although he said so himself which wasn't as cute. :) ) I was led back to the OR without him to get prepped. Good thing too, I don't think the Dads should be there for the first 5 minutes, they are the most intense in my opinion. They sat me on the table and gave me the spinal which starts working immediately. Holy Cow! By the time I was laid down I couldn't feel my legs. Then they put up the drapes and get you all set. Except I started feeling weird. Remember those things they said may happen? I started feeling dizzy and nauseous. Then I felt like I couldn't breathe even though I could. The medicine comes far enough up the chest that it messes with a few muscles there and you start to feel panic, even though you are breathing fine. They gave me a couple injections into my IV for the nausea and to help my blood pressure and helped talk me through it. Soon enough I felt fine again. That's when
Julien was brought in and the show started. Soon enough I felt tugging and pulling. I could hear the docs talking and hear some suctioning but before I knew it, she was out. I felt immediately lighter. And then she let out quite the cry! Boy can she be loud. I watched her get cleaned and checked. She was 8lbs 4oz, 21 inches, just one ounce off my prediction.
Julien even got to cut the cord this time. They stitched me up and let hold her. She even rode with me when they wheeled me to recovery. The nursery nurse gave her a quick sponge bath and gave us our matching bracelets. We tried nursing right away and she seemed to take to it. I was so excited. I was so hoping. So off we were shipped to our postpartum room and by about 10a we were all settled. It made the day seem so long since we got there SO early. We kept trying to nurse and changed a lot of
poopy diapers. We made all our phone calls and since the hospital had
wifi, even posted pics of her. By the end of that day, they helped me sit in a chair to get out of bed. It actually did feel good. Especially to get out of those stupid compression leg wraps. They help circulate the blood in your legs to prevent blood clots. A little annoying after the first day. Morning of the second day, the took out the
catheter (thank god!) and had me walk to the bathroom. That day I kept trying to get out of bed and walk a little. I even took a shower and that wore me out. I had a lot of visitors. Our neighbors the Walters came up twice to see us. Four of my friends from playgroup came and brought us presents. Grandpa Tim arrived Friday night and was able to come visit before visiting hours were over. With Aidan we only had a couple people come by, so it was nice that so many of our friends wanted to come wish us well. Anyway, I tried to keep moving like they said to. Everyday the pain of the incision and bruising got better. And with a lot of help, it seemed that nursing was going well. In fact, I felt good enough to go home on Sunday instead of Monday. The pediatrician was pleased with Olivia as she had gained back an ounce from the weight she had lost. (She went down to 7 lb 10 oz and went back up to 7lb 11oz) I had met with the lactation consultant twice that morning and I was feeling confident. (Of course everything changes when you go home, but that's another post.) So off we went. It felt so good to be home. I couldn't believe that I had spent three days in the hospital, had my first major surgery, and now I had two kids instead of just one. So much change in such little time. Now the hard part begins.
1 comment:
AWe Kelly your doing fantastic! I can only begin to imagine how scary it must of been feeling like you couldn't breath.
It is a big adjustment going from one to two and trying to breastfeed.
You are doing fantastic!
I have loved all the pics and look forward to meeting her!
Give both Olivia and Aidan a big ole huggle from me :)
Post a Comment