Friday, April 3, 2009

Doctors Frustrate Me Sometimes....

Last week, my nieces Emma and Sophie came for a visit and sightseeing. Aidan had a great time and we did a lot in three days. I will eventually blog about all of that. Things are pretty hectic right now. Julien left for a business trip on Monday, the day we left to take the girls back to Iowa. That's also the day that Aidan started running a fever and got sick. There seems to be a pattern of Aidan getting sick and Julien going out of town. So, we made it to Iowa on Monday in one piece. We stayed Tuesday as Aidan really wasn't up to traveling, and left for home on Wednesday. Thursday we went to the doctor. Unfortunately, our normal pediatrician wasn't available in the morning so we saw the other doctor. Nice guy but I knew as soon as I was leaving the office that he was wrong about his diagnosis. Call it mother's intuition. He said Aidan had a virus and there wasn't anything he could really do. As for his cough, try honey. In my opinion, I thought that was pretty weak. Against better judgement, I didn't say anything and took Aidan home. So when the fever wasn't gone today either and Aidan wasn't making any progress, I called the office again. Just my luck, our doctor is out today. Great. So I leave a message for the other one that I had no confidence in at this point. So I wait for a call. And wait. I'm getting frustrated. So I call and make an appointment so Aidan won't miss an opportunity to be seen if he needs to be. Good thing I did, cause the doctor didn't call until an hour before our appointment time and asked for me to bring Aidan in anyway. I have to wake Aidan up for this appointment which makes us both mad. Aidan has not been sleeping well and he was actually sleeping for once. When we walk in the office, Aidan is clinging to me like a rag doll and looks terrible. He has drainage coming out of one eye and his temp is going back up. At least the doctor will see what I see at home, I think. Even if Aidan is miserable maybe the doc will figure it out. We see the doctor and guess what? His right ear is terrible today. The doc seems surprised. Guess who isn't? That's right, me! We end up getting an antibiotic which is what I knew we needed yesterday. Sometimes I think male doctors don't listen to moms as much as female doctors do. Our normal ped. is a woman and she always asks me if he's following his normal pattern of when he's sick, how is this different? If he had asked me the same, maybe I would have had the medicine yesterday and we'd be a day closer to a healthy boy. Cause right now, I can't wait for him to get back to normal. To say I'm at my wit's end would be an understatement. Not only am I caring for him alone, after a busy week with my nieces and little time to recover, doing a lot of driving back and forth to Iowa, but I'm also fighting off a bug myself that my buddy probably shared with me. I can't wait for Julien to get back from Phoenix (which is where he went after his business trip) and to get some help and some rest. Julien says that I'm getting a couple days off when he gets home. We shall see....

2 comments:

Safire said...

Oh no! Feel better soon!

Freya said...

I really hope both you and Aidan are doing much much better.