Sunday, June 1, 2008

Six years and counting.........

Last night we had the rare fortune of having a sitter for our big day. Thanks a TON to our neighbor Jen, who took such good care of Aidan, even after she got ditched by her hubby. ;) Good thing Aidan's an easy guy to watch. Julien and I went to the St. Louis Art Museum in Forest Park. If you ever get to St. Louis, Forest Park is a must for sightseeing. They still have a couple buildings from the 1904 World's Fair. The Zoo's there, the Grand Basin is cool, you can paddle boat the canal. Very cool. The museum was cool. They had Monet's "Waterlilies" which was breathtaking. I didn't realize it was the size of my living room wall though. Huge! They had several Van Goghs, Egyptian mummies, Native American beadwork, a Warhol, and one of my favorites, Mark Rothco. We both love his stuff. But a very cool museum for little ol' St. Louis.
After the museum we had some time to kill before our dinner reservation. So, we walked around the Grand Basin and joked about all the wedding parties we saw. Especially the poor bridesmaids who in almost 90 degree weather were wearing full length black dresses. I'm sure they were thrilled with the bride. We considered walking behind everyone while they had their pictures taken and making obscene gestures. What better way to celebrate your anniversary then to mess with newlyweds. Then we walked down to the restaurant, The Boathouse. It's right next to the water, as you might guess from the name. So the atmosphere is very cool and laid back. Julien had already given me my present. He got me a GPS, which he SWEARS is for me and not him, but I don't know. He says it's so if we're out and decide we want to go to a park or something we don't have to go home to look one up. And so we can always know how long it'll take to get somewhere so we don't have the problem of pushing Aidan past nap time so we can go to lunch. (Just ask Julien about that one.) But we exchanged cards. Julien completely surprised me and gave me a hand written love letter. Shock! They last time I got anything handwritten was when he was in Iraq. He hates to write letters. But this one was very sweet and very much appreciated. Our dinner and wine was good. Dessert was awesome. We had apple crisp a la mode and Mexican chocolate cheesecake. Delish! Another great part of having dinner without Aidan was being able to have an adult conversation. That was wonderful. We got to talk about a lot and actually enjoy dinner. At the end of dinner it started to thunder and lightening as rain moved in. So any plans of paddle boating were dashed. So we decided to call it a night and head home.
Aidan was excited to see us when we got home. Honestly, I was excited to see him too. We weren't gone that long but I still missed him. We got to tell him good night and then Jen put him to bed for us. Considering he's the easiest child to put to bed, I didn't feel too guilty. If you think I'm bragging about Aidan's sleep habits, I'm really not. Ask anyone who's put him down for nap or bed. It's pretty fool proof. And that was the end of our day. It was a great one.

No comments: