Friday, June 20, 2008

Baby Jonesing

Every now and then I start "baby jonesing" again. This time, the cause of said 'jonesing' is two-fold. First it was pictures of our friend's new twin boys. Then, our neighbors are expecting their first baby in January. All that led to watching videos of Aidan when he was little. That in turn led to realizing how grown Aidan is now. And then it starts..... I start to miss the little fingers and toes. I miss the little coos and jerky movements. I remember how it felt to hold him and how exciting every new milestone was. Now, he's so big and independent. He certainly is not a baby anymore. All of his baby toys, clothes, even his nursery stuff, is all packed away. Every time I look at those bins, I feel a little sad. Then I start to think, 'well, we already have all this stuff, why not use it? how bad could it be?' Huh, right..... Then I remember the how much we spent a month on diapers and formula. And not getting sleep at night. Then, I try to imagine caring for a toddler at the same time. Well, at least a two year old. Two in diapers, two different schedules, two demanding little people.....Scary! I feel as if the jump from one to two is scarier than having the first one. I was reasonably confident in my ability to handle the first one. I'm not so sure of how I would adapt to two. After all, I'd be outnumbered and that never ends well. The funniest thing about considering the next one is, I've been bugged more about when the next one is coming than the first one. Strange. I guess the first one turned out so well there's a demand for another one. In the end, I think I'm willing to wait a while longer. But, every time I see little baby clothes or hear someone I know talk about their own pregnancy, I still get a little baby fever. For now, I think I'll take some Tylenol and wait the fever out.

1 comment:

Safire said...

It starts! I've heard that it's either harder to go from one to two or two to three. Wouldn't know...just jumped to 3. :) Don't do what I did and you should be just fine. ;)