Wednesday, June 23, 2010

San Diego or Bust!

Hello everyone from sunny San Diego, CA! This trip has been awesome. But, let me start from the beginning. Friday night, Nana and Grampa arrived to take over Aidan and Olivia duty. Grampa stayed the weekend and had to go back home, leaving Nana with the kids this week. So far it sounds like things have been going well. Both kids have been doing well and they've been keeping busy. That being said, Saturday was an early morning for us. At 4:00a we got up and told Olivia goodbye, as she was up too. Off to the airport and our 6:30a flight. We sat in Minneapolis for 3 1/2 hours for our layer over, had breakfast and tried to keep ourselves entertained. We landed in San Diego at 1:30 with the whole day ahead of us. So, off to downtown to have an awesome seafood meal at the Fish Market down by the Midway. Then we drove up the coast, stopping at La Jolla, Solana Beach and wherever else looked cool. We checked into the hotel around dinnertime. Talk about nice! What a cool place. We have our own patio which is cool. The TV is nice and big. The bed is comfy. They have a spa, two restaurants and bars, outdoor fireplaces, a golf course and is all together pretty posh for us. Sunday morning we took off for the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Park. It's where they started their breeding program and have since opened it to the public. It was a lot of fun but a ton of walking. Can't imagine doing it with the kids. After the park we got a late lunch at Fatburger and then went to see the A-Team movie. Not a bad Father's Day. Monday, we went to Old Town San Diego. We toured the Whaley House, which I had wanted to do last time I was here. It's supposed to be one of the most haunted houses in the country but I didn't see any ghosts unfortunately. We grabbed some great Mexican food while we were there too. Carnitas, yum! We walked around and visited all the shops. Lots of touristy things to buy but still fun. Then after a little break we headed to the Stone Brewery for their brewery tour. The tour guide was funny. He spent the whole tour drinking a beer, which in my opinion is the greatest ad for your product. At the end we got free samples of beer, which I passed on. They also have a restaurant so we stayed for dinner. Very good food but we were still pretty full from lunch so we didn't eat much. Then back to the hotel to pass out. The time change has been hard on us. We start to fall asleep at about 9p here cause to our body it's 11p. I usually don't know what time it is and I have been confused as to the day it is on more than one occasion. But it is vacation and I have no real responsibility while I'm here. The closest thing to responsibility I've had is to make to the spa on time. Which came the next day when Julien had to go to work. Poor guy, the day he has to go to work (since this was a business trip to begin with) is his 30th birthday. Nice of me to have a day at the spa for him huh? I got a massage, a pedicure, then relaxed by the pool with an appetizer plate and a flight of wines. It was awesome! I sat around all afternoon and read by book. When Julien got back to the room from his difficult day at work, we went to a restaurant here for dinner. Dinner was wonderful and the wine was very good. They even brought him a dessert with two candles in it for his birthday. Today I've hung around the room. Julien went back to work today and then he'll be done with his business part of this trip. I went to breakfast by myself this morning and felt a little weird about it so I decided to have lunch in our room so I wouldn't look so pathetic having lunch by myself too. Tomorrow we don't leave until the afternoon so I'm hoping we will be able to do something fun in the morning. I know work was a little difficult for Julien yesterday and I would hate for him to end the trip on a sour note. I think there should be enough time to do or see something. We don't have to be at the airport till 3p. Let's hope that our return flight goes as smoothly as our flight here. This has been a lot of fun and I've really appreciated the time away and the time we were able to spend the two of us. We don't get to do that nearly as much as we should. Hopefully we won't wait another four years to do this again. As great as this trip has been, I miss my babies. And I know they miss us too. We've really enjoyed San Diego and its perfect weather but it always feels good to go home. I could use a hug from my buddy and my little chica.

No comments: